Tuesday, October 14, 2014

From Jay Nordlinger's Impromptus column comes this tidbit:

I know that today is a better day, because we have the Internet. This is true in a thousand ways, or a hundred thousand ways. I know that books, newspapers, and magazines will be a thing of the past - I mean, in their physical forms. I don't regret it that much.

But I must say, I find it increasingly difficult to read things on the Internet. I click on an article, and I'm not taken to the article: I'm taken to an ad instead. Then there is this experience: Loud music will suddenly start playing. Or loud talking will suddenly start. Often, my screen looks like an old pinball machine, with lights flashing and boxes shaking and music blaring. I just want to read an article.

I think of an old expression: "It makes my eyes go yuck."

Again, I know that the Internet is a better day. I would not go back. But lately, I've been annoyed.

I couldn't agree more. And for good measure, here's some more Nordlinger:

The topic of gay marriage came up in the vice-presidential debate. Joe Biden and Sarah Palin said they had the same position. They were against gay marriage. So, the moderator said, "Wonderful. You agree. On that note, let's move to foreign policy."

Two days before the election, Obama reiterated, "I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. I am not in favor of gay marriage."

Running in 2012, of course, both Obama and Biden sang a different tune. They had had an epiphany or something. (Is "epiphany" too religious a word for our modern society?)

Here's the grating thing: They scorn people who are against gay marriage as, basically, Klansmen and Nazis. The blink of an eye ago, they themselves were against gay marriage (officially)! But now the people who hold that same position - the Obama-Biden position until May 2012 - are Klansmen and Nazis?

More than grating, that is galling. Obama should be embarrassed. (I'm not sure that Biden is capable of embarrassment.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home